Labrador Retriever. Expert opinion on the breed
1. Have you been judging Labrador Retriever dogs for a long time and how do you think this breed is developing in Russia?
2. What problems today are characteristic for the Labrador breed as a whole? What do you think you need to pay attention to Labrador breeders?
3. If you have judged abroad, how does the level of Russian labradors correspond to the international?
4. When you conduct an examination of labradors, what do you pay attention to first of all? And what do you think is secondary?
5. In your opinion, is there a problem with the intra-breed types of Labradors and is this related to color or other factors?
6. Were there any exhibitions that you have judged and which you especially remember? In this connection?
7. Your attitude to the handling of Labradors. How important is it?
8. How would you describe in three words a true Labrador?
Shamil Abrakimov, expert of RKF-FCI
1. More than 5 years. I think the Labrador breed is developing successfully. There are, as in all breeds, separate nurseries that go forward and set the tone, while someone is engaged in reproduction. Unfortunately, the breed mode is reflected very negatively on the quality of the livestock. Unfortunately, there are fewer high-breed Labradors than ordinary Labradors.
2. Breeders should pay attention to anatomy – a lot of dogs are out of balance, there are problems with the transmission. With the hind limbs in your breed more safely than with the front. I would like the dogs to move correctly. For me as a spanielist, the right movements mean the correct structure of the dog. In my opinion, there is a problem of exhibition condition – in the pursuit of “volume” dogs are fed so that fat on their backs overflows and hangs. But there is no skeleton, and thin, narrowly set legs stick out from under this carcass. Fatness and overfatigue can not replace either a good skeleton or a rounded rib – and without this there is no Labrador. But in over-fed dogs, as a rule, a weak back.
3. I have tried a lot of Labradors abroad, including National and Specialty shows, and I am convinced that the level of our best Labradors is international. I believe that they are of high class in Russia, progress is being made at the expense of breeders who are fans of their breed, who achieve high results and are engaged in the breed regardless of fashion. These are people who understand that it is necessary to look for virtues in other people’s dogs, and their faults in their own. Everyone works differently: there are title collectors; there are those who are constantly changing breeds depending on fashion and consumer demand, and there are divorces fanatics – everything keeps on them.
4. First of all – on the addition and movement of the animal, of course, on the type and, naturally, on the psyche. Secondary examination does not happen, we evaluate the dog as a whole and in relation. The pedigree head should be proportional to the body, the skeleton must be strong, the hair should be in good condition, and in the aggregate a picture of the pedigree dog will be created.
5. Yes, such a problem exists, and it is associated with colors. If we talk not about the center, but about Russia as a whole – fawn dogs are closer to ideal. You often meet black labradors with a light skeleton, a flat rib and tall legs.
6. National Championships were remembered – there was a good exhibition in Sevastopol – there was a wonderful junior who became the BOB. But in Belarus I didn’t like the dogs. I note that, in my opinion, we need to be more fair with Labradors in Best: of course, a well-dressed cocker or golden sometimes looks more like a show dog, but if a really cool Labrador is present, why not choose him ?!
7. Handling is important in any breed. Correct display is an important detail. It’s possible to emphasize the dog’s merits, of course, it’s not so easy to hide flaws – for example, I like to feel every dog: not only anatomical flaws, but also temperament flaws are manifested, and if the dog shy away from an expert, then it’s psyche. But with proper handling, the flaws at least do not stick out. In addition, exhibition preparation, work with the handler always works for the dog, Labrador is not a sofa dog – he should work, at least at exhibitions.
8. Friendly, without a hint of aggression, a dog that has everything in moderation.
Ekaterina Bauzhes, expert of RKF-FCI
1. I judge Labradors for 10 years. Pretty quickly the gene pool was enriched and, as a result, the dogs became incomparably more pedigree.
2. Oddly enough, there are many Labradors who cannot be not only hunters, but even just companions, a family dog. Too many dogs with a vicious psyche, whose maintenance in the city has become a problem.
3. So far I have judged Labradors only in the countries of the Near Abroad, and there Labradors are weaker than ours on the exterior and there are fewer of them. Judging by the last two European Championships, Russian Labradors are quite competitive, but at the same time they have, unfortunately, the same exterior flaws as European dogs.
4. First of all, perfection of type and breed, then dimorphism and temperament. I do not so strictly assess the lack of exhibition conditions in bitches.